OS Cover Image

OS Cover Image

Saturday 28 August 2010

Shadow Wave Half-Way Point Impressions

Yes, having just possessed Shadow Wave for a day and a half, I'm already 200 pages in to James Adams' final adventure (and know the name of what's coming next...head straight to the back page for an awesome reveal by Robert Muchamore). My impressions yesterday were that the first half of Book 12 would be fairly uneventful, and so far that's true of the book. Perspectives are switched quite constantly despite the fact we won't see James again after this, with Kyle taking the helm for much of the second hundred pages, and Kerry, plus new characters Aizat and Helena (whose roles I won't spoil) instead of our lead protagonist. The plot is oh-so CHERUB with destabilising governments, twists and turns involved, but that's part of what worries me. When I discussed Shadow Wave with others, I thought of the potential should Muchamore attempt to shake things up a bit, adding elements of darkness or real danger to the mix, in that this is essentially "The Deathly Hallows" for James. Right now, Robert Muchamore seems to be playing it safe, and believe me when I say that I'll mark CHERUB: Shadow Wave down quite a bit in my upcoming review (expect it tommorow evening) if there's nothing spectacular on show come the ending. Admittedly, it will be interesting to see how James' tale is rounded off by the climax, but right now this is just standard CHERUB-fare, and not living up to full expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment