OS Cover Image

OS Cover Image

Thursday 22 September 2011

Glee: The Purple Piano Project Review (3/5)

As the second season of Glee reached a mediocre climax, I got the sense that the programme was running out of ideas and gimmicks, that its charm and satire could only take it so far and we'd seen the best there was to offer. Having watched the premiere episode of Series 3, The Purple Piano Project, I'm sad to say that my mindset was not changed. Lea Michele, Chris Colfer et all were as ever on fine form, each adding a little bit of depth and substance to their characters in the realisation that high school doesn't last forever, but the performances were nothing special, and even Dianna Agron's reinvented Quinn didn't do her portrayal any favours. Choosing big numbers like We Got The Beat, Big Spender and You Can't Stop The Beat is typical of a series opener, mainly serving to peak newcomers' interest in the show, and yet even then the roster was hardly the most mainstream line-up, so it's not as if those who disliked the show will have been converted in any way. Basically, The Purple Piano Project was Glee at its most Gleeish, decent enough to keep the fans compelled but alienating enough to keep the wider world audiences away. Now it remains to see whether things can change over the course of the season, else this musical could end up being cut short!

1 comment:

  1. Santa has been banned? O my, this is so amazing the way that Will is stepping up to the plate and I can see a crash and burn coming because he’s willing to fight back down and dirty. In addition Rachel is still a brown-noser and I would like to see something different from her. I missed most of the first season which I need to go back and watch. That first season was about the baby between Quinn and Puck, but now that story is back in the picture. I’m glad that I can get the episodes on DVD from Blockbuster with my Movie Pass because it’s so convenient to have them sent to my home. I also love that the Movie Pass is free for new customers but I get it with my employee account for only $10 a month on the same bill.

    ReplyDelete