OS Cover Image

OS Cover Image

Saturday 10 December 2011

Advent Calendar 2011: Day Ten

For the next few days, while I get ready to announce this year's Game of the Year and Film of the Year shortlists for you to vote on and me to choose my own favourite out of, I thought it would be a  good idea to look back on the releases I would have given to in previous years. So, today it's...
2007 FILM OF THE YEAR
WINNER: HOT FUZZ-
A hilarious foray into the world of the British police force, Hot Fuzz took an age old film genre and reinvigorated it, all thanks to the dynamic duo of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, effortlessly charismatic and lovable throughout. Yes, the storyline had its dull parts, but the constant laughs on offer more than compensated, making for one of the best comedy films I have ever seen.
RUNNER UP: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END- 2007 wasn't a fantastic year, and that I would have needed to have chosen this movie as runner-up for Film of the Year really emphasises that fact. My main problem with this ambitious climax to the first Pirates trilogy was that it was far too long, trailing a monotonous storyline that constantly moved back-and-forth without making much overall progress. That said, I've chosen At World End because the acting from everyone involved (and boy, was it quite the ensemble cast!) was never anything less than superb, and even today the special effects are impressive by anyone's standards, so there are some major saving graces for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment