OS Cover Image

OS Cover Image

Sunday 25 March 2012

Empire Movie Awards 2012 Announced

Which movies came out victorious?
Much as I love the Golden Globes and the BAFTAs, I always like to get a more mainstream perspective on the past year of film as that has always been the perspective I myself take when choosing the 'Best Of' awards each year. Here you can see the full list of winners at the Jameson Empire 2012 Movie Awards, and my thoughts on each of the winners from 2011's roster of movies...
BEST FEMALE NEWCOMER: FELICITY JONES (Like Crazy)- I haven't seen Like Crazy, but having watched Cemetry Junction and Chalet Girl (both starring Felicity), I can safely say that Ms Jones is definitely an actress to watch here in the UK, and one who richly deseves this title.
BEST MALE NEWCOMER: TOM HIDDLESTON (Thor)- Now this one I can surely confirm. Hiddleston was sublime as the manipulative Loki in Marvel's Norse superhero epic last Summer, as well as in War Horse earlier this year, and I for one can't wait to see him return in Avengers Assemble and Thor 2!
BEST COMEDY: The Inbetweeners Movie- An easy victory for what was undoubtedly the standout comedy movie of 2011. The Hangover: Part II and Attack The Block impressed, yet it was only the superb finale to the Inbetweeners franchise that really innovated and provoked the true laughs in the audience.
BEST HORROR: Kill List- I've never been much of an authority on horrors, so I'll just cautiously agree with the viewers on this...
BEST THRILLER: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy- Somehow I struggle to classify Tinker as a thriller, and as I said last year I thought the hype was a little overexaggerated for what was a slow and infrequently dull piece, but there's still something to be said for the tension and action that diffused the Bond-esque epics of yore so magnificently.
BEST SCI-FI/FANTASY: Thor- When Super 8, Rise of the Planet of the Apes AND X-Men: First Class were nominated for this title too, I'd dispute which movie won it, yet nevertheless I loved Chris Hemsworth's epic debut as Thor, so I don't totally mind the victory for Thor- thank goodness it went to this great film, and not Captain America!
THE ART OF 3D: The Adventures Of Tintin- My faith in the 3D format is dwindling to say the least, and I've yet to see Tintin, but if its use of the tech was as good as people claim then I will somewhat regret missing it to chance to see it like that on the big screen.
BEST ACTOR: Gary Oldman (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)- I'm sorry to say I vastly disagree with this award. Daniel Radcliffe didn't deserve it that heavily for Potter, but Andy Serkis richly did for his mindblowing work on Planet of the Apes, a masterful take on CGI realism that truly honed in the modern relevance of the incredible technology.
BEST ACTRESS: Olivia Coleman (Tyronnosaur)- I'm doubly sorry to say I've never heard of either Olivia or her film, which is pretty rare, I won't lie! Tyrannosaur wasn't promoted as well in the UK as it was over in America.
DIRECTOR: David Yates (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2)- I have no qualms with this one. Despite my niggles with Part 2's narrative execution, I cannot fault the beautiful rendition of the Battle of Hogwarts by Yates, easily one of 2011's filmic highlights!
BEST BRITISH FILM: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy- I've already mentioned my opposition to the Tinker love, and would frankly rather have seen Inbetweeners scoop this one up.
BEST FILM: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2- The shortlist for this award consisted of Drive, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and this. Given that I named Rise my Best Film of 2011 in December, I think you'll know my stance on this one, but to be fair I did love Harry Potter (it came fifth in my final Top 15), and I haven't yet seen Drive or Tattoo- hey, you can see some, but not all...

No comments:

Post a Comment