Traditionally, Nintendo have simply walked out onto the E3 stage and blown us away with an innovative showcase. As ever, though, the publisher dared to be different at the 2013 conference, instead hosting a pre-recorded Nintendo Direct showing to reveal new Nintendo WiiU and 3DS video game releases.
So while there were no groundbreaking console announcements to be found, we can still nevertheless round up here all of Nintendo's big reveals fresh from E3 now...
- POKEMON X & Y RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED- Nintendo's first announcement involved their upcoming Nintendo 3DS RPG video games Pokemon X and Pokemon Y. These much-anticipated new instalments in the acclaimed handheld franchise have been confirmed to retail on 3DS on October 12th.
- SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD ANNOUNCED- Many were expecting Nintendo to reveal Super Mario Galaxy 3 for their WiiU console, but instead they revealed a WiiU exclusive follow-up to the 3DS hit Super Mario 3D Land. Titled Super Mario 3D World, this semi-3D new entry features four player cooperative modes, the introduction of the Cat Mario costume (yes, really), an all new storyline that does not involve rescuing Princess Peach and lots more, as you'll see in the trailer below! Super Mario 3D World comes exclusively to Nintendo WiiU this December.
- MARIO KART 8 ANNOUNCED- Another big Mario reveal was that Mario Kart is returning to home consoles. Titled Mario Kart 8, the new instalment will boast stunning high-definition visuals, new racers and new locations galore just as Mario Kart Wii did in its 2009 debut. Mario Kart 8 ships exclusively for Nintendo WiiU in Spring 2014.
- WII PARTY U & ART ACADEMY WII U ANNOUNCED, WII FIT U DELAYED- Another couple of Nintendo WiiU exclusives announced in the show were Wii Party U and Art Academy: Wii U Edition, both of which will launch this October. As if that weren't tragic enough in terms of supposed 'innovation', Nintendo then confirmed that Wii Fit U is still coming, albeit that it has been delayed to a 2014 release.
- THE LEGEND OF ZELDA GAME UPDATES REVEALED- Nintendo also kindly provided updates on their ongoing home and handheld The Legend of Zelda projects. Firstly, they named the new 3DS platformer as The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (a fully fledged sequel to A Link to the Past), before then revealing that The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker HD will ship exclusively on Nintendo WiiU this October.
- DONKEY KONG COUNTRY: TROPICAL FREEZE ANNOUNCED- Those who loved Rare's Donkey Kong Country Returns on WiiU and 3DS will no doubt be happy to hear that the franchise is returning to Nintendo WiiU. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze will retail exclusively on Nintendo WiiU this November.
- BAYONETTA 2 RELEASE WINDOW CONFIRMED- For anyone who was left very excited by Nintendo's confirmation of the development of Bayonetta 2 by Platinum Games earlier this year, it will be a big relief to hear we now have a firm release window for the upcoming shooter. Bayonetta 2 retails exclusively on Nintendo WiiU in 2014.
- SUPER SMASH BROTHERS 4 ANNOUNCED- To close off their Nintendo Direct conference with a bang, Miyamoto and Reggie then finally announced the development of Super Smash Brothers for WiiU and Super Smash Brothers for 3DS. Yep, those are the bizarrely plain titles for the games right now, so we'll see if there are any changes soon. Among the character line-up is confirmed to be Megaman, a shake-up that should prove rather exciting. Super Smash Brothers retails exclusively on Nintendo WiiU and 3DS in 2014.
For all the latest news on future Nintendo Direct conferences, WiiU and 3DS developments and everything else, keep it On-Screen in the weeks ahead!