Following in the wake of Microsoft, Sony debuted their PlayStation 4 console in similarly spectacular fashion at their own E3 2013 conference. Just as we're covering Microsoft and Nintendo's big announcements today, so too will we now recap what the PS4 had to offer at the video games equivalent of Reading Festival.
Here, then, is our summary of all of the big announcements made by Sony Computer Entertainment fresh from their E3 2013 conference:
- EXCLUSIVE DLC DEALS ANNOUNCED- Sony first revealed that two hit developers, Ubisoft and Warner Brothers Montreal, will collaborate with them for exclusive gameplay content in their upcoming projects during the months ahead. As such, Batman: Arkham Origins will feature Adam West and Azazel skins for Batman to don in his costume roster, while both Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Watch Dogs will feature 60 minutes of exclusive missions to entice PS4 owners.
- NEW BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS GAMEPLAY VIDEO DEBUTS- Another great reveal was that Batman: Arkham Origins will mark one of the final major games of the PlayStation 3 line-up. To showcase this much-anticipated prequel, Warner Brothers unveiled a great new gameplay trailer and demo at Sony's conference, both of which can be seen below. Batman: Arkham Origins will retail on PlayStation 3 on October 25th.
- GRAND THEFT AUTO V PS3 BUNDLE ANNOUNCED- Another exclusive collaboration announced was between Sony and Rockstar Games. We're going to get a new PlayStation 3 bundle very soon, packing in the hit current generation hardware with Rockstar's groundbreaking sequel Grand Theft Auto V for the same RRP as other bundles (£200). The Grand Theft Auto V PlayStation 3 bundle will arrive alongside the game's release this September.
- THE ORDER 1866 ANNOUNCED- Amongst their PlayStation 4 exclusive reveals, Sony announced the development of The Order 1866. Little is known about this one right now, save that it's a Victorian first-person shooter featuring breathtaking visuals and innovative gameplay. The Order 1866 retails exclusively for PlayStation 4 in 2014.
- KILLZONE, DRIVECLUB & KNACK CONFIRMED AS PS4 LAUNCH TITLES- Sony were naturally eager to reveal a few of their first-party exclusive PlayStation 4 launch titles in the aftermath of Microsoft's wave of big reveals. The PS4 launch line-up now officially contains Killzone: Shadow Fall, Driveclub and Knack, with big third-party multi-platform titles such as Battlefield 4 and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag obviously on the way too. The line-up retails this November.
- FINAL FANTASY XV & KINGDOM HEARTS III ANNOUNCED- Konami took to the stage to confirm too that Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III are both coming to PlayStation 4. The latter announcement in particular took this writer by hugely pleasant surprise, although some of Sony's thunder was stolen here as Konami later confirmed both titles are coming to Xbox One as well! Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III will retail on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in 2014.
- THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE ANNOUNCED FOR PLAYSTATION 4- Next up were Bethesda Game Studios, who seemed pretty happy to reveal that their much-anticipated online RPG The Elder Scrolls Online will be a part of the PlayStation 4's initial year of games. Again, though, some of its thunder here was robbed as they confirmed an Xbox One release of the title too. The Elder Scrolls Online retails on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in 2014.
- MAD MAX ANNOUNCED- Just what will Just Cause's Avalanche Studios do next? The answer is a new franchise entry in the acclaimed Mad Max series, adapting a hit cult comic-book into video game form. Once again, if you've spotted the trend, this title is coming to both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in 2014.
- NEW DESTINY GAMEPLAY VIDEO DEBUTS- Bungie were also back to re-reveal their upcoming online RPG Destiny as part of the PlayStation 4 line-up. The developers were ready to show off an all new gameplay video fresh from the title itself, the results of which you can witness below. Destiny retails on PlayStation 4 (and Xbox One) in 2014.
- PLAYSTATION 4 PRICING & RELEASE DETAILS CONFIRMED- And finally, we've got the big news of the PlayStation 4's price and release window. The console will retail for £360 without the PlayStation Eye camera and £430 with it, so here players have the option as to whether to go for the least popular motion controller or not. The PlayStation 4 hardware will ship in the UK this November, placing it right in Microsoft's crosshairs and thus setting the stage for perhaps the most grand hardware battle in the history of video gaming...
For all the latest news on the PlayStation 4, Sony's elaborate strategies to best the Xbox One and everything else, keep it On-Screen in the weeks ahead!