OS Cover Image

OS Cover Image

Thursday 24 May 2012

ON-SCREEN IS BACK

And lo, may the revolution begin!...
Welcome back, everyone! As you will hopefully have noticed, On-Screen has undergone something of a dramatic design shift at the conclusion of its hiatus to become the far more modern site you now see in front of you. I have been asked whether these aesthetic changes are the full extent of what I promised was to be a 'revolution'- don't worry, those who asked, perhaps I worded it wrong but today marks just the first step in the changes that are coming to the blog for the first time in the three years it has been online. I'm going to naturally play a few cards close to my chest in the next few months, but here are just a few hints of what you can expect to diversify and develop in days to come...
  • WHAT'S THE SCORE? First up, you'll begin to see reviews taken up in a wholly different light, as I start to split apart the oft-needless plot summaries of TV episodes, films and other narratives into a 'The Plot' intro at the beginning of the review, before moving onto the main 'The Review' section and then 'The Verdict' at the end. This won't be the case with all reviews, but along with the new, bigger scores shown at the end of the article (which may well get split for video game reviews or at least become an average), it'll shake things up in a much needed way for the review system.
  • THOUGHTS ON THE MATTER- For the first time ever, I'm going to be throwing down the gauntlet to you readers to give me opinions on the latest entertainment releases. Whether they be controversial or not, if you have a point to make and a score to give, then feel free to let me know over on the Facebook page or my Twitter feed, both of which will now serve as regular feeds for this blog too like never before! Hopefully, these opinions will help to form entire new articles written by you guys, and if at any point you've got a longer opinion you want to share, let me know and I'll post it as an entire piece under you name...
  • VIDEO GAGA- More and more now, integration of YouTube and its countless videos is becoming an essential part of blogging, and who am I to ignore that trend? Every time I do one of my 'Most Anticipated', 'Best Release' or 'Coming Up This Week' regular weeklies for On-Screen, the 'Top Release' of that list will have its trailer posted at the bottom of the post for you to see just why it looks so darn good. In addition to this, for the monthly 'Most Anticipated' Top 5s/Top 10s, the release that manages to secure first place will then be the main image at the top of the blog each month. Neat, huh?
  • ON A WEEKLY BASIS- One new 'feature' I've had in mind to implement for quite a while now is the idea of there being fairly regular weeks dedicated to certain franchises based on a big release of the week. So for example, to kick this trend off in style, what with the release of Alien prequel Prometheus next Friday, all through next week I'll be revisiting Ridley Scott's famous sci-fi movies from Alien to Alien: Resurrection right up to Alien VS Predator 2: Requiem. From then on, there'll be E3, Rock & Roll, LEGO, Modern Warfare, Spider-Man, Dark Knight Weeks and many more to come!
  • GET ME THAT EXCLUSIVE- And perhaps foremost in all of the changes I'm bringing you with the revolution that's begun will be the level of the World Exclusive articles I post. You've already seen verdicts you wouldn't get anywhere else this year with world's-first reviews of The Cabin In The Woods, Dara O'Briain: Craic Dealer, Doctor Who: Worlds In Time and The Hunger Games, yet all of those really are just the tip of the proverbial iceberg in terms of what's on its way. Very soon, I'll be heading to a tour of the sets of one of the most iconic film franchises of all time, and bringing you the definitive verdict on this new British attraction, and after that things will keep getting bigger and better as 2012 continues to barrel on...
Of course, your feedback to all of this is vital- do you want more from the blog, or are there further changes you'd like to see made over the Summer? Just contact me via Facebook or Twitter and I'll do my best to get back to you ASAP. For now, though, good luck to those Y12 and Y13 students still in the middle of exams, and enjoy the flurry of oncoming posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment