Joss Whedon and co will be happy (and rightfully so)!
The new superhero ensemble flick The Avengers most certainly seems to be making the intended impact across the world. In its opening weekend Stateside, it has earned over $200 million, making it the biggest ever launch of a movie over in America. That's quite a staggering achievement, and having given the film a full 5/5 rating, I'm hugely glad to see Avengers performing so well. Below you'll see the Top 20 launches of US movies to get a quick update on what Marvel's team have managed to beat...
20. HARRY POTTER & THE GOBLET OF FIRE ($102,685M)
19. X-MEN: THE LAST STAND ($102,750M)
18. SHREK 2 ($108,037M)
17. STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH ($108,450M)
16. TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN ($108,937M)
15. TOY STORY 3 ($110M)
14. PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: AT WORLD'S END ($114,782M)
13. SPIDER-MAN ($114,782M)
12. ALICE IN WONDERLAND ($118M)
11. SHREK THE THIRD ($121M)
10. HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 1 ($125M)
9. IRON MAN 2 ($128M)
8. PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST ($135M)
7. THE TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN PART 1 ($138M)
6. THE TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON ($142M)
5. SPIDER-MAN 3 ($151M)
4. THE HUNGER GAMES ($152M)
3. THE DARK KNIGHT ($158M)
2. HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2 ($169M)
1. THE AVENGERS ($200M)
Certainly, you'll notice how many sequels there are littering the list...food for thought in terms of moviegoer' preferences. Avengers fans, listen up- your next doses of solo hero goodness are coming in April 2013 with Iron Man 3, November 2013 with Thor 2 and July 2014 with Captain America 2, so get ready to assemble again!