Next up in our series of E3 press conference round-up articles is Electronic Arts, whose showcase aired online just a few short hours after Microsoft's remarkably confident presentation. Rather than tracking down all of the major gameplay reveals across the internet, you need only read on here to find our must-read guide to the latest news.
Without further ado, here's everything that emerged at Electronic Arts' E3 2014 press conference on Monday, June 9th...
- NEW STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT PRODUCTION VIDEO RELEASED- There's still a while to wait yet until we hear more on DICE's first licensed Star Wars video game (new details are coming in Spring 2015, apparently), but until next year, you can at least witness a new behind-the-scenes video taken from the developers' officers right now (below). Star Wars: Battlefront takes its first command post on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC in Winter 2015.
- MIRROR'S EDGE PREQUEL GAMEPLAY TRAILER RELEASED- Once again, EA remained relatively cagey on concrete gameplay details regarding their revival of the Mirror's Edge brand. Rest assured, though, that the franchise's trademark free-flow platforming will return in full force, as evidenced by the game's second full trailer (below). Mirror's Edge leaps onto PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC in 2015.
- FIRST MASS EFFECT NEXT-GEN SEQUEL PRODUCTION VIDEO RELEASED- Another project that's very much in the early stages of development, the fourth full instalment in the Mass Effect series is in gesticulation over at BioWare (as well as another new project entirely, though we haven't included its reveal video here as there really isn't much to see). In the first production trailer (below), you'll receive a tasty glimpse at what's to come for a universe without Shepherd, though 'glimpse' just about sums it up, as it's little more than that. Mass Effect returns on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC in 2015.
- BATTLEFIELD: HARDLINE MULTIPLAYER BETA ANNOUNCED- Owners of Battlefield 4 on PlayStation 4 can access the online multiplayer beta for Visceral Games' impending Cops-and-Robbers FPS Battlefield: Hardline today free of charge- in other words, what are you waiting for?
- THE SIMS 4, NHL 2015 & PGA TOUR 15 RELEASE WINDOWS ANNOUNCED- As well as revealing the trailers mentioned above, EA confirmed release dates/release windows for a few of their upcoming sports and lifestyle simulator products. The Sims 4 hits Windows and Mac OS X devices on September 2nd, NHL 15 scores its opening goal on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 this September 11th and EA Sports' official PGA Tour tie-in game for 2015 will ship on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 in Spring 2015.
With a limited running time and most of their major upcoming titles already announced, EA were always going to be fighting an uphill battle at this year's E3 convention. They held up admirably when you bear this in mind, but overall, it's difficult not to feel disappointed by the profound lack of surprises or unannounced titles at their latest press conference. Here's hoping that the tide will turn when many of these products make their retail début later this year.
Stay tuned to On-Screen for all of the hottest news straight from E3 2014's showfloor as the week goes on...